GEAR UP Breathitt County
Hello! My name is Alonzo Fugate and I am one of the two GEAR UP Academic Specialists who work with the Breathitt County School System. I am so excited to be working with the students in all of the cohort schools! We will be working on college and career awareness. Of course, we will also be doing a lot of other fun things as well!
Through GEAR UP, students will have the opportunity to:
1. Dream BIG!
2. Succeed in School!
- You'll tour colleges and technical schools.
- You'll learn about career paths that match your interests and your skills.
- You'll participate in cultural events.
- You'll meet students studying for new careers and attending different types of schools.
3. Turn Dreams into Plans!
- You'll have access to more in-school tutoring.
- You'll have GEAR UP Academic Specialists to help you improve your skills and raise your test scores.
- You'll have opportunities to take AP and dual credit classes in high school.
In addition, all 8th graders are automatically Berea College CFES Scholars! As an 8th grade GEAR UP student, you will become a Berea college CFES Scholar. Scholars will participate in mentoring, leadership training and service projects. For more information about College For Every Student (CFES), visit www.collegefes.org.
- You'll build a school schedule that matches your career goals.
- You'll learn about the KEES Scholarship and turning high school grades into money for college.
- You'll go to high school orientations and transition workshops.
- You'll learn to balance academics, work, and school activities.